Change – Why Is It Necessary?
Because if you keep doing the same thing, you’ll get the same result!
Everyone knows the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. However, knowing the definition alone is not enough.
The world is changing so fast and successful people, as well as successful businesses all recognise the need to change early. They understand that there is no option otherthan to embrace change. But how do you learn to embrace change?
We encourage our clients to embrace change explore “What if?” scenarios when they are ready for a change or are being forced to change due to circumstances beyond their control. By asking yourself a ‘what if?’ question you begin to identify solutionsand ideas, as well as flush out your fears and concerns about change.
And, let’s face it. What keeps most of us stuck in our groundhog day world is fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of failure. Fear of success. Fear of not looking good orgetting it right. Fear of what others might think.
However, what is fear? Fear is typically triggered by our past experiences, which are driven by negativity or something not succeeding as we had expected. Fear keeps us safe and comfortable and won’ t allow us to step outside our boxes. Fear is FalseEvidence Appearing Real!
No matter whether the changes being made are major or minor, too often we all hit the brakes – we panic, we stop. However, in not changing, we find ourselves going backwards and becoming disenchanted, miserable and negative to be around. Or, worse still, we revert to business as usual.
So, how do we embrace change?
- Make change and fear your friends
- Although fear can keep us from harm, it’ s more about knowing how to use ‘your fear’ to serve you and support you in making the changes.
- Trust yourself
- If you find yourself constantly complaining about something, then this is your trigger that change is required. So listen and act.
- Make change fun
- By asking yourself ‘what if?’ you can start having fun with change and creating some scenarios that could just work.
Some other strategies for embracing change are:
- Read something new
- Be willing to stretch your mind in new directions—learn something new
- Explore what is possible in your life
- What are you passionate about? What are your interests? Avoid focusing on what's not possible
- Revisit a failed strategy and ask,
- ‘What could I have done differently to make it work?'
Remember: the one thing you can always count on is change. You’ll either make the change or allow the change to happen to you. If you’re ready for your business—andyour life—to take a new direction, then start playing with the idea of ‘what if?’
I love this quote by Vince Lombardi, a great football coach who said, "If you're not making mistakes, you are not trying hard enough."
Make this month your month of embracing change and see where it takes you.
Republication of Invisible Partnership articles are permitted, given the original link and author are referenced. High resolution photos can be provided upon request.